Meat Production - Full-Time
Warehouse 171 Weidner Rd Rochester, NY 14624, USA
Palmer Food Services is looking for a Quality Control (QC) Technician to join our team! Palmer Food Services offers training and development opportunities, as well as great benefits for our associates and their families.
Role & Responsibilities
- Continual inspection of all operational areas for GMP and sanitation compliance.
- Verifies that tasks and paperwork related to the SQF system are being completed; reviews and signs; gathers and files quality and food safety records.
- Places nonconforming product on hold and releases product.
- Coordinates testing with outside testing laboratory and holds/ releases product based upon these results.
- Provides confirmatory checks of all Critical Control Points (CCPs)
- Performs pre-operational inspections and ensures that all deficiencies are rectified before production begins.
- Performs ATP testing swabbing and environmental monitoring swabbing.
- Performs daily thermometer calibrations and weight verifications.
- Performs incoming inspections on products used in the production areas; approves or reject shipments; generates supplier corrective actions if rejected.
- Supports Production in the application and/or monitoring of the SQF rules and controls.
- Serves as a resource to Production and Operations regarding food safety and quality issues.
- Generates and informs the immediate supervisor of all non-conformities to the SQF rules; accepts corrective and preventive actions; and closes nonconformances.
- Performs Food Safety training to all personnel impacting the SQF system.
- In the Corporate QA Manager’s absence, hosts any unannounced regulatory inspections.
- Serves as liaison from Corporate QA Manager to Production and Operations personnel.
- Escalates any issues that can’t be resolved to the Corporate QA Manager.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Qualifications & Education Requirements
- Strong organizational skills; attention to detail, meet deadlines and work in a production-driven environment.
- Must have the capacity to be trained in a working knowledge of Food Safety and HACCP principles.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Strong intestinal fortitude to stand by decisions that may be unpopular.
- Ability to learn knowledge of quality characteristics of the products that this facility manufactures and distributes.
- High school equivalency minimum.
- Must have the ability to read, write legibly and understand simple verbal & written instructions.
- Must have basic computer knowledge.
- HACCP experience.
- Food manufacturing or distribution experience is preferred, but not required.
The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by a Quality Control Technician to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to stand, walk, twist, stoop, bend, kneel, sit and squat.
- Must be able to use hands to pick, handle, feel, finger; reach with hands and arms, pull and push trays with product, levers and boxes.
- Must be able to talk and hear.
- Possess normal vision with or without correction and able to distinguish colors.
- Possess fluent speech in English, writing and communication skills necessary to effectively carry out job functions.
- Must be able to read and comprehend work related materials, numerical data and diagrams.
- Must be able to occasionally lift and carry up to 20 pounds using correct lifting techniques.
- Must be able to work in a cold environment (freezer, cooler, and dry storage).
- Know and follow current Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMPs).
- Know and understand the contents of the Policy Manual and the Food Safety Policy.
- Understand the Food Safety and Quality Manual and where to find the same.
- Know the annual changes to the SQF system.
- Know that policies exist with reference to production-related record keeping.
- Understand the evolving food safety legislation and regulations communicated by the Corporate QA Manager.
- Understand policies/standard operating procedures with respect to personnel practices insofar as control of physical contaminants, cleaning and sanitation, waste management, and act accordingly.
- Know that there are standard operating procedures for calibration of equipment, premises and equipment maintenance, and where the procedures may be found.
- Know that there is a Food Safety Plan including an HACCP plan and know that there are control Points and know how to apply Control Measures.
- Understand our policies regarding product identification and labelling rules, as well as product traceability and act accordingly when necessary.
- Know that policies exist regarding Incident Management and Recall and Food Security/Premises Security/Sabotage and participate in establishing the same when appropriate.
Lift up to 75 lb: Advanced
Detail Oriented: Capable of carrying out a given task with all details necessary to get the task done well.
High School or better
Palmer Food Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider all applications for all positions without regard to race, religion, creed, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, gender dysphoria, marital or family status, pregnancy, military status, veteran status, predisposing genetic characteristics or carrier status, arrest or conviction record, domestic violence victim status, or any other protected class or status. Applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation to participate in the application and/or interviewing process should notify an organization representative.